The dynamic landscape of dentistry demands constant innovation to provide the highest level of patient satisfaction and exceptional procedural outcomes. Diode lasers offer dental practices a cost-effective, high-tech solution that significantly reduces healing times. Happy patients are patients who are sore for the shortest period of time! In this blog, we will delve into the science behind diode lasers, explore their top applications, and discuss the studies supporting their efficacy in enhancing patient comfort and expediting the healing process.
Here's a breakdown of how a diode laser works and the clinical benefits of the laser.
1. Light Generation: The diode laser produces a monochromatic and coherent light by passing an electric current through a semiconductor material. This light is typically in the wavelength range of 810 nm to 980 nm, which is particularly effective for soft tissue applications.
2. Light delivery: The laser light is guided to the treatment site using a flexible fiber optic cable. The cable is connected to a handpiece, which is used by the dentist to precisely direct the laser beam onto the target tissue.
3. Tissue interaction: The laser light is absorbed by the target tissue, particularly by pigments such as hemoglobin and melanin. This absorption of light energy causes a rapid increase in temperature, leading to the vaporization or ablation of the target tissue.
4. Hemostasis and Asepsis: A Cleaner Environment for Healing. Diode lasers have the unique ability to simultaneously cut and coagulate tissue, providing excellent hemostasis during dental procedures. This results in less bleeding and a cleaner surgical site, both of which are crucial for optimal healing. Additionally, the thermal effect of diode lasers can help to sterilize the area, reducing the risk of infection and further accelerating the healing process.
5. Photo biomodulation: The Healing Power of Light One of the key factors contributing to the accelerated healing times associated with diode laser treatments is photobiomodulation (PBM). PBM refers to the process by which light energy is absorbed by cells, stimulating cellular activity and promoting tissue repair. The use of diode lasers in dental procedures can lead to increased collagen production, improved circulation, and reduced inflammation, all of which contribute to faster healing times.
6. Reduced Scarring and Improved Aesthetics:The precision of diode lasers allows for more accurate tissue removal and better control of the depth of incisions, resulting in reduced scarring and improved aesthetic outcomes. Patients treated with diode lasers often experience less postoperative pain and swelling, which contributes to a more comfortable healing process and ultimately leads to higher satisfaction rates.
7. Enhanced Cellular Regeneration: The use of diode lasers in dental procedures has been shown to promote cellular regeneration, helping to expedite the healing process. Studies have found that diode lasers can stimulate fibroblast and keratinocyte proliferation, both of which are essential for tissue repair and regeneration. This enhanced cellular activity can lead to faster healing times, reduced scarring, and overall better treatment outcomes.
In general dental practice, there are four common applications of diode lasers. These common procedures benefit from the advantages diode lasers offer over conventional techniques. The procedures follow with links to videos of the procedures being performed.
1. Gingivectomy - Pain-Free Experience: Diode lasers provide a minimally invasive option for reshaping and removing excess gum tissue. With less trauma to tissues compared to traditional scalpel techniques, they result in reduced postoperative pain, swelling, and faster healing times. Studies have shown increased patient satisfaction with diode laser-assisted gingivectomies due to less pain and discomfort. Aoki et al. (2015) found diode laser-assisted gingivectomy led to significantly less postoperative pain and discomfort compared to the conventional scalpel method.
2. Biopsy - Faster Diagnosis, Quicker Recovery: Diode lasers offer a swift and reliable way to obtain tissue samples for biopsy while minimizing tissue damage. As the laser cauterizes while cutting, it reduces bleeding and ensures a clean tissue surface. Recent studies have demonstrated faster healing times and less postoperative pain with diode laser biopsies compared to scalpel biopsies.
3. Impression Troughing - Comfort and Precision: Diode lasers simplify the process of impression troughing by creating a clear and well-defined gingival sulcus. As a high-tech alternative to retraction cord and electrosurgery, diode lasers eliminate tissue trauma and reduce bleeding, leading to quicker healing and increased patient comfort. Kachhara et al. (2018) discovered diode laser troughing reduced postoperative pain, inflammation, and healing time compared to conventional retraction cord techniques and compared to the traditional scalpel method.
4. Frenectomy - A Smoother Experience: Diode lasers offer a superior approach frenectomy compared to traditional scalpel techniques. With pinpoint accuracy, reduced bleeding, and faster healing times, diode lasers ensure a smoother and more comfortable frenectomy experience for patients. In a case report of a diode laser frenectomy, the Journal of Dental Lasers reported that diode lasers provide an excellent alternative to conventional scalpel surgery because of patient comfort, bloodless field, and reduced pain and healing time
Knowing all the benefits of diode laser technology, Dental TI has partnered with HU Laser to offer the advanced K2 Mobile laser to our valued clients. We love the K2 Mobile's wireless packaging and patented flexible and extendable fiber. The fiber can be cleaved with the built in cleaving tool and used many times before replacement. The K2 Mobile is powerful also with 3.5W (continuous) and 6.5W (pulsed) power delivery. All of the procedural presets are preprogrammed, so picking the correct power level is a breeze. Check out the advanced features of the Hu Laser K2 Mobile in the K2 Mobile video below.
Diode lasers are revolutionizing dentistry by offering a more efficient, minimally invasive, and patient-friendly solution that can set your dental practice apart from the competition. The science behind diode lasers, backed by numerous studies, demonstrates their remarkable ability to speed up healing times and improve patient comfort following various dental procedures. And, patients see lasers as high-tech and not as scary as the scalpel. That alone can be helpful in calming a patient's nerves before a surgical dental procedure.
Having taken the time to read this blog, Dental TI has an exclusive offer just for you on the Hu Laser K2 Mobile. Our all-inclusive package equips you with everything necessary to seamlessly integrate a diode laser into your practice. With an attractive price point, you'll be well on your way to enjoying improved treatment outcomes and increased patient satisfaction by incorporating diode laser technology. Click on the link below to arrange a conversation on the K2 Mobile and get promotional pricing!